What Does Renters’ or Tenants’ Insurance Typically Cover and Why Might I Need it?

What Does Renters’ or Tenants’ Insurance Typically Cover and Why Might I Need it?

In Ireland, renters’ insurance, also known as tenants’ insurance or contents insurance, typically provides coverage for the contents of a rented property against various risks and perils. If you are renting a property your landlord will have their own policy that will insure the building and any contents owned by the landlord. That policy will not cover your belongings, which would be uninsured unless you were to take out renters’ or tenants’ insurance.  While specific policies will vary, here are some common coverage areas included in tenants’ insurance:

Contents Coverage:

Renters’ insurance typically covers your personal belongings and possessions within the rented property. This includes furniture, appliances, electronics, clothing, jewellery and other valuable items.

Fire and Smoke Damage:

Renters’ insurance usually provides coverage for damage caused by fire and smoke, including the destruction or damage to your personal belongings.

Theft and Burglary:

If your belongings are stolen or damaged due to a break-in or theft, renters’ insurance can provide compensation for the loss.

Accidental Damage:

Renters’ insurance may cover accidental damage to your possessions, such as spillages on electronics or accidental breakage of valuable items.

Water Damage:

Coverage may be provided for water damage caused by burst pipes, leaks, or other accidents within the rented property.

Liability Coverage:

Renters insurance may include liability coverage, which protects you if you accidentally cause damage to the property, or if someone is injured while visiting your rented home. It can help cover legal costs and any compensation you may be liable for.

Alternative Accommodation:

If your rented property becomes uninhabitable due to a covered event, renters’ insurance may cover the costs of temporary accommodation while repairs are being made.

It’s important to note that the coverage and policy terms will vary between insurance providers, so it’s advisable to carefully review the policy documents and consult with an Insurance Broker to understand the specifics of the coverage offered by a particular policy and to ensure that it meets your specific needs.

What Does Renters’ or Tenants’ Insurance Typically Cover and Why Might I Need it?


Stay up to date with the latest Insurance Broker News

View all

Insurance Broker

Why Use
an Insurance Broker

Whatever the shape, size or location of your home, your Insurance Broker will help you to find a policy that’s ‘just right’ for you!

Learn more